Sunday 2 March 2014

WHAT ARE YOU GRATEFUL FOR?

It appears to be an unfortunate and somewhat ill-fated part of my personality that I have a strong inclination to focus of the negative aspects of life. I say that this facet of my character is inevitable because there is a history of depression in my immediate family which may, by degree, have predisposed me to depression. 

I certainly have to make a concerted effort to realise and appreciate the many things I take for granted. Nothing can ever be perfect-  and the world is inexorably flawed- but there are some things that illuminate some of life's darker shades. 

So, in no particular order, here is my rudimentary list of things I am thankful for (which I shall be adding to over the weeks): 

1. A safe house and living environment. 
2. Exceptionally supportive parents.
3. My two beautiful and adoring sisters.
4. My dog, Polo! 
5. Educational and extra-curricular opportunities at a fantastic university.
6. Two sets of loving grandparents.
7. Friends and acquaintances that offer compassionate support and have shown understanding when I am down.
8. Access to mental health care.
9. Freedom of speech and expression.
10.The positive response I have received from people who have been reading my blog. 

Sisterly Love and laughter

What things in life are you grateful for? 

2 comments:

  1. It's all about people, in my view. Without people, life is just sterile. I'm grateful for all those who've brought some quality to my life.. family, friends, strangers reaching out. Though I remember a favourite quote: 'My father loved humanity, it was people he couldn't stand..'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, its people I am most grateful for. More than anybody, my four children, who amaze and teach me every day. When I am at my lowest, its hard to believe I have given birth to these four wonderful human beings; they are my reason to keep living and trying to accept myself as I am. Isn't it the greatest paradox; to know that we are loved yet to struggle to love ourselves.

    ReplyDelete